This webinar is a live feed of the workshop being delivered with in-room participants.
Please Note: This Webinar is only offered to participants outside the Greater Christchurch Area. Your online experience will differ from face to face education sessions.
Workshop Type: Introductory | Workshop Level: Four
This course will provide you with the opportunity to develop skills and increase your knowledge around assisting individuals who present with alcohol and other drug (AOD) issues and how to access support services in Canterbury in order to address these issues. The workshop will focus on recognising problematic AOD use, understanding the impact on the individual and family/whānau, and develop an awareness of AOD treatment services available to support them in the community.
• Introduction to addiction, and how to identify problematic AOD use
• Explore the impact of problematic AOD use on the individual, and their family/whānau
• Examine the impact of stigma and discrimination
• Identify positive strategies to respond to individuals presenting with problematic AOD use in an empathic and supportive way
• Overview of AOD support and treatment services in the Canterbury region, and how to access them
Participants will be provided with the opportunity to:
• Develop an understanding of AOD abuse and dependence
• Gain an awareness of the impact of problematic alcohol use on the individual, and the family/whānau
• Develop an understanding of the potential barriers for individuals in accessing AOD treatment, and how to support them in overcoming these
• Gain an awareness of the wide range of treatment options available to support the individual
• Working with Service Users
• Working with Maori
• Working with Families/Whanau
• Working with Communities
• Challenging Stigma and Discrimination
• Professional and Personal Development
You will need
• Headset and Microphone
• Built-in laptop camera or attachable webcam device (for laptop or PC)
• Stable broadband connection
Minimum System Requirements
• As a guide, if you are able to Skype or watch online videos (eg: YouTube) from your device, your system requirements should be capable.
• System requirements in detail https://collaborationhelp.cisco.com/article/en-us/nb8raex
Windows 7 and above
Mac OS X 10.6 and above
Internet Explorer 7 and above
Firefox - Latest version
Chrome - Latest version
Safari - 5 and above